Sunday, April 15, 2012

Panini Perfection

Tal made these amazing sandwiches the other day. We even had to have friends over so they could try it out - they were THAT good.
Tal uses our George Foreman grill for several different dishes. I think it's his favorite kitchen tool. Since we don't have a panini press, he used the George for these mouth-watering, delectable sandwiches.

He starts french bread rolls, slices them carefully open then slathers some cream cheese mixed with just a little horseradish on each side. Then he gently layers meat and cheese, adds tomato, red onion and bacon. The meat and cheese combinations include pastrami and provolone, roast beef and cheddar or black forest ham and creamy havarti. He then butters the roll on the outside and then gingerly places them upon the George. Once they start to heat up, he then encrusts them with a slice of cheese on the outside of the roll. It's a tricky process that he has perfected. Each sandwich comes out with a delicate crust of cheese and rich cheesy-meaty goodness on the inside. Low in fat they ain't!

For our guests he devised a plan to mass produce. He took a loaf of french bread and sliced it in half so it would fit on the grill. Then he cut the top out in a V shape and scooped out some of the breading inside. He loaded the inside with all the goodies, buttered the outside and when the time was just right, crusted the outside with cheese. It was heaven in a french loaf!



I have decided that this is my new, best, favorite sandwich ever - even better than Baggins in Tucson!

1 comment:

  1. This isn't the same person to whom I suggested (before he went on his mission) that perhaps he should learn to cook a few things. He told me then that he didn't want to learn to cook because he was going to go somewhere on his mission where someone else would do the cooking. Lo, and behold! He went to Chile where the Elders stayed with a Mamita who did their cooking, cleaning, etc. At that time I thought, "I guess Bret will be my only son who cooks." Wow! How wrong I was! Those sandwiches look heavenly. I can hardly wait to move up there so he can make one for me. The finished product took some imagination plus skill. Thanks for posting this, Juli. He didn't learn to cook in my home so the credit has to go to you. Congratulations, Tal. I love you two.

    ReplyDelete