I thought I would share parts of Dallin's first letter home form Basic Combat Training. He is at Ft. Jackson in South Carolina for 10 weeks for Army National Guard. When he first got there, he started with a cold that he hasn't been able to shake yet. We get a phone call at the end of Week 4 and Week 8. Can't wait!
Hey Mom & Dad -
I'm writing to you on my second fire guard shift at 2:00 AM, sitting next to my post, with arms hurting from so many pushups. Pretty crazy, huh? We got our rifles today and I feel great! We were shown how to strip it down to every last part and how to properly clean every individual piece. So when they are not threatening to kill you (no really, they do threaten to kill you! Like break your neck, crush your skull, etc) you are cleaning your rifle and fixing your living space like a madman. But even though I feel great, I'm fairly certain that I have infected five more people in my platoon with the cough and sniffles I STILL have. Even after 4 days, they refuse to die down! It kind of stinks but it hasn't even impeded my ability to learn one bit!
We have three Drill Sergeants (sergeant is a sucky word) named L, M, and P. I actually really like them! They are all still in their 20's and unlike the older geezers they connect with us. DS M.'s favorite phrases to use are "doggone", "hoooooly shiz" and "it would behoove you". So far he is my favorite. Something funny about my platoon is that there are 60 people in it and all of them are 17-21 (22 of them are 17!). In total, there are 413 people in this basic, and 112 are 17 (another 84 are 18 and another 62 are 19)! We have actually broke the record for the youngest basic training ever! Oh yeah, the reason I took two shifts this morning is because if I did, I wouldn't have to do it for a whole week. A week off of fireguard is a huge deal! I was the only one that wanted to, though.
.....
Write me back! Love you! Dallin
P.S. This is cool paper, Kadi is gay, the end.
Thanks for sharing this. It sounds as though he is doing okay. He's isn't complaining and I'd say that is a huge plus. A good attitude will undoubtedly earn points for him. He is so cute. I just can't think he's old enough for this. Time flies too quickly. Frankly, I'll be happy to have him home. Love all of you. Can't wait to move. I'm so happy you get to go to his graduation.
ReplyDeleteKadi is gay? Don't we just love brothers.
ReplyDelete