With silver bells and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.
I am missing the bells, shells and maids but have the other prime components of a successful garden this year. I had (2) 4x8 raised boxes with amended soil.
- Tomatoes: Early Girl, Sweet 100, and Yellow Cherry. All worth doing again but do higher cages - they went crazy. Try a Yellow Pear and a Roma next year
- Cucumbers: Armenian and lemon cuke. Pass on the lemon next year but the Armenian is a winner! Taller cage on Armenian - huge producer!
- Peas: Did not plant enough and need to trellis better
- Yellow bush beans: Good flavor but go with pole beans to climb next year
- Zucchini: One plant is always enough
- Pumpkin: Find a better place - they take over every inch!
- Strawberry: Not successful this year. Must not have the knack yet.
- Lettuce: Easy, always good
- Spinach: Didn't do well this year
- Radish: Plant further apart, did OK
- Carrots: Still waiting to see if it's worth the effort
- Onions: Started with red and yellow sets, should be good
- Jalapenos: Not terrific, don't bother next year
- Tomatillos: Fruit way too small, not worth it
- Swiss Chard: Plant more than 4 next year. Took too long to get enough to cook for Tal with just 4.
- Green onions: Not worth the effort
- Herbs: I think I am going to use fresh herbs but never do. Don't bother.
- Sunflowers: Did well. Do again for some height and color variety in boxes
- Flowers: Those in between the veggies in the boxes didn't do well but the front planters were great. More petunias next year.
Looks great! My dad, as great a garden grower as he was, quit trying to do spinach and just settled on Swiss Chard. I, personally, like it as much as spinach. When it's young and really tender it could also be used in salads, as well. I have several recipes for Spinach casseroles that I think swiss chard would do just as well. And the Armenian cucumbers--wow! I love them just as they are but they are really good for my hot Armenian hot pickles. I don't know how many of your family would like them, though. Such ambition. I'm so proud of you. Of course, home grown tomatoes always taste better than store bought. Yes, that Dallin does love tomatoes, doesn't he. Love you.
ReplyDeleteLike I said, you are amazing and get more done than anyone I know.
ReplyDelete